Understanding Social Inequality Through Numbers - A FREE Social Statistics Workshop for S5/S6 pupils
This workshop on statistical literacy at the University of Edinburgh focuses on exploring Inequality in Life Expectancy in the UK and abroad. The workshop will include an Excel lab session and fun interactive activities which will promote secondary school pupils; 1) Ability to critically evaluate statistical findings from social research; 2) Data analysis skills in Excel; 3) Understanding of social and spatial inequality; 4) Familiarity with the new Q-Step degree programmes, including the opportunity to do a summer work placement which involves quantitative analysis of secondary data in a leading organisation as part of your degree; 4) Familiarity with pathways to careers which combine quantitative skills with knowledge of social issues.
We expect our participants to gain:
• Skills and confidence in using Excel to analyse statistical data;
• The understanding that you can combine an interest in maths and social science during your studies at university;
• An understanding of the range of ways that numbers can be used and applied in the field of social science;
• An experience that will show pupils that applying maths to social science situations is fun, useful and interesting;
• The opportunity to meet pupils from other schools;
• The opportunity to meet current Q-Step students and hear about their experiences while studying at the University of Edinburgh;
• A taster of a typical afternoon at the University of Edinburgh.
Why choose our workshop?
We have a large body of staff and student ambassadors who are so enthused by what they do that they all want to be part of this event and share their knowledge and enthusiasm with local school pupils. From professors to students currently studying our undergraduate ‘with quantitative’ methods degrees, we have a committed group of individuals applying their skills and experience to make this event fantastic. Our workshop is mostly interactive, consisting mainly of hands-on lab work and group work. We aim to inspire a whole new group of quantitative social scientists and, of course, encourage them to come and study with us at The University of Edinburgh.
To book this free workshop
To book this free workshop, please contact the Q-Step Academy team Dr Helen Packwood and Dr Gitit Kadar-Satat: firstname.lastname@example.org